January 5, 2016
Until position is filled
Mid-April to the end of September
The Sous Chef takes a ‘hands’ on approach while managing and working with all kitchen related Restaurant operations, specifically but not limited to ‘Creations Dining Room and Lounge’, reporting to the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef supervises the staff of the entire kitchen and participates in the training and development of staff. He/she manages ‘Creations’ under the input and advice of the Executive Chef in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring adherence to sanitary and safe food handling guidelines at all times.
- Minimum of 19 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a Supervisory position or higher in an upscale 3 star hotel.
- Minimum of 5 years combined experience in the trade of cook.
- Thorough background in banquets, fine dining, and line cooking.
- Background in culinary competitions is beneficial.
- Food and Beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
- Understanding of purchasing and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Understanding of Restaurant, Bar/Lounge, Room Service, Banquet and Catering operational procedures.
- Effective decision making skills.
- Basic financial management skills e.g., ability to understand and manage operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling.
- Ability to acquire and maintain relationships e.g., associates, customers, vendors.
- Knowledge of most hotel operations as they affect kitchen and related areas
- Ability to effectively manage labour productivity.
- Strongly demonstrated creativity in all areas relating to food.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self motivated, with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
- Innovative, detail oriented, and quality conscious.
- Displays the ability to recognize, influence, and follow foodservice trends in preparation and presentation.
- Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
- Ability to take constructive feedback and leadership.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Culinary Education Trade Papers, Red Seal or Equivalent required.
- Certifications as required to comply with provincial regulations.
- Food Safe Certification.
- Membership of local Culinary Association.
To apply for this opportunity at Kokanee Springs, please email your resume and cover letter to: Brenda Oates at firstname.lastname@example.org.